A Hardcore Look at Wealth
Passage: James 5:1–6
Why is he so strong in his language against the rich?
To whom is James writing?
Is it inherently wrong to be rich?
1. We should be careful not to _______________ wealth. vv. 2-3
“You have laid up your treasure in the last days.”
2. We should be careful not to _______________ people out of money. v. 4
“Behold, the wages of the laborers…you kept back by fraud.”
3. We should be careful not to live in _______________ and self-indulgence. v. 5
“You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence.”
4. We should be careful not to hurt innocent _______________ for the sake of our profit. v. 6
“You have condemned and murdered the righteous person.”
1. Do you think James is being too hard on the wealthy people?
2. What is the difference between ungodly hoarding and wisely saving for the future?
3. How can you know if you are living in luxury and self-indulgence?
4. Do you need to make any changes in how you handle your wealth in light of this passage?