TEXT: Romans 5:1-11
The death of Jesus was a sacrifice initiated by _______________.
“In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” I John 4:10
1. JUSTIFICATION: We are declared _______________ before God. vv. 1a, 9
“Therefore, since we have been justified through faith.”
2. RECONCILIATION: We are at _______________ with God. vv. 1b, 10-11
“…we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
3. REDEMPTION: We are _______________ from our sin and condemnation. vv. 6, 8
“For while we were still weak, at the right time, Christ died for the ungodly.”
I Peter 1:18-19
4. PROPITIATION: We are _______________ from God’s wrath. v. 9
“…much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.”
What He has done for others, Christ can do for you.
1. Why did God have to love you first before you loved Him?
2. How does biblical doctrine help you in your Christian life?
3. How does knowing you deserve God’s wrath but in Christ you are free from it impact you?
4. Of the four doctrines – justification, reconciliation, redemption, propitiation – which one would you like to understand better?