The Trials of Life
Passage: James 1:1–4
Author: James, half-brother of Jesus
Date: Early to mid 40s AD, first New Testament book written
Recipients: Persecuted Jewish Christians scattered beyond Jerusalem
Theme: What authentic faith looks like, faith in action
Face every trial with a _______________ attitude.
“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds”
Why should we face every trial with a joyful attitude?
- Because _______________ tells us to.
- Because the trial is a _______________.
“the testing of your faith”
- Because God is at _______________ in the trial.
“that you may be perfect and complete”
“looking to Jesus” Hebrews 12:2
- What is James not telling us to do during trials? Why?
- What means has God provided to enable us to have a joyful attitude during trials?
- How has God used trials in the past to help you mature in your faith?
- How would you encourage someone in a trial with this passage?