The Riches of Poverty
Passage: Matthew 5:1–5:16
TEXT: Matthew 5:3
SERIES: Life in God’s Kingdom
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God.”
Jesus tells us not only how to __________ the kingdom of God but also how to __________ the kingdom of God.
Point of the Passage: Life in God’s kingdom is characterized by an ______________ of spiritual bankruptcy which brings great blessing.
- What It Means to be Poor in Spirit.
- What It Looks Like to be Poor in Spirit.
III. How You Know If You are Poor in Spirit.
- The poor in spirit have a __________ and __________ heart.
- The poor in spirit are __________.
- The poor in spirit are __________ on God.
“For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich.” 2 Corinthians 8:9
- How would you answer the question, “Isn’t Christianity just a crutch for people who can’t make it on their own?”
- What do you think it means to be “blessed”?
- Do you trust yourself and your strength and your rightness too much? Are you often satisfied in yourself?
- Do you begin your day acknowledging your spiritual poverty before God? Why? Why not?